Second Century Stewardship
107 years our National Park System and Service have been in existence.
300 million annual visits to America's national parks—more than MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLS games combined!
1,000,000+ people reached by #ParkScience stories.
3,000+ students engaged in Second Century Stewardship research.
- Support stewardship of park resources through advancing conservation and ecosystem science.
- Strengthen public understanding of the importance of science for parks and society.
- Increase public engagement with science.
- Pursue solutions to critical conservation challenges.
Four Core Strategies:
- Research fellowships support a new generation of scientists in parks.
- Communication training and stories of park science that inform and inspire.
- Citizen and student engagement stimulate learning and love for the national parks.
- Create and share solutions to conservation challenges across parks and protected areas.
- Awarded 12 research fellowships in Acadia National Park and published a report on the importance of early-career scientists to the National Park System.
- Fostered new insights to inform park management.
- Delivered 6 science communication and 5+ citizen science workshops across the country in partnership with 60 National Park Service units and partners.
- Advanced a community of practice for science communication and engagement in national parks.
- Shared stories of science in national parks with more than a million people.
- Engaged thousands of students and citizen volunteers in park research.